Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Is it Spring yet?

In case you didn't know, I live in Texas where the weather is....unpredictable to say the least.  Yesterday, it was in the mid to upper 80's, sunny (and muggy, because I have to complain a little).  Today, it is rainy and freaking freezing [Mr. Bigglesworth!].  Seriously, it is in the 40's and is just spitting rain.  I knew it was going to get cold, but I guess I didn't realize how nasty it would be.  What does all of this have to do with food, you may wonder?  Well, I tend to plan my menus with not only seasonal produce in mind, but I generally take the weather into account as well.  For instance, I planned hamburgers for tonight - partially because my oldest child has a softball game...maybe?...and partially because I thought it was going to be hot.  When it is hot, I grill like a fiend because I don't want my kitchen to feel like the place where real fiends dwell.  (That's Hell, of course, and Texas frequently feels like the Seventh Circle thereof in the height of summer.)  Now that it is gross and cold outside, hamburgers doesn't really feel like the meal of choice for the evening.  This feels like a beef stew or a chili night, but, unfortunately, I didn't buy any of the ingredients for either of those hearty, soul-warming meals.  I did buy the ingredients for something called "Skillet Tamale Pie", so I might go there for tonight.  Of course, as per usual, I didn't take out the chicken to thaw, so my defrosting ineptitude may mess me up....for like the billionth time.  Hopefully, it will be warmer tomorrow and hamburgers will sound more appetizing.  Hopefully, I will get something warm on the table this evening.  If I do and it is good, hopefully, you can look forward to a new recipe in the next day or so.  We shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment