Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Chinese Chicken Salad


Man, I seem to be doing a lot of blogging on the fly these days.  I should probably figure out a better way to do my mobile blogging than by typing my post into an email and then copy/pasting it on to the web.  Ah, well...today, I'm typing my email post while hanging in my son's speech therapist's office.  Loads of fun things going on for us today and this is just the beginning.  Yay?

Last night we had one of my favorite summertime meals - Chinese Chicken Salad with Chow Mien Noodles.  It starts with a head of Napa cabbage, shredded, plus matchstick cut carrots and red bell pepper, sliced green onions and minced cilantro.  Add shredded, poached chicken breast and a delicious dressing, made of oil, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and grated fresh ginger.  Toss all of that good stuff together and serve, topped with crunchy, canned (I know - it sounds weird, but look for them in your grocery store's Asian food section) Chow Mien noodles.  It is tasty, fresh, and super healthy.  It also makes a ton, so we always have leftovers (great for lunch the next day...or two) even with feeding all five of us.  You can change the recipe up to suit your own tastes - make the dressing spicier, sweeter, add different veggies...endless possibilities.  Of course, we have so many freaking doctors appointments (the last one being across town at 4 pm....HELLO, traffic!), I will probably completely cancel out the health aspects of last night's meal with the craptastic-ness of whatever I can find for us on the way home late this afternoon.  Good times!  Oh, well...lunch is gonna be ggggoooooodddd!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing. Can you post the actual recipe? You know I can't function without actual measurements.

    ReplyDelete