Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Yoga Diet - The First Week Part Deux

Ha! See, I told you I would have more posts coming on the "Yoga Body Diet" recipes! So, last night we tried Chicken and Zucchini Quesadillas which is supposed to be served with a mango-jicama salsa. Well, because I had planned to serve the quesadillas with a salad anyway and because I didn't really get the idea of a "salsa" lacking any spicy components, I decided to add the salsa ingredients to my salad. I did make the quesadillas as directed by the recipe....well, more or less that way. I used whole wheat tortillas, chopped zucchini, sliced poached chicken, reduced fat cheddar cheese (in lieu of the mozzarella written in the recipe) and added about a pinch of adobo seasoning to kick the flavor up a notch. (Oh, my God. Did I just quote Emeril? Is that even how you spell his name? I apologize - I really couldn't think of anything else to write right there. I won't do it again. Promise.) The quesadillas were sprayed with cooking spray and baked in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. The result was a crispy exterior with a juicy, gooey, cheesy interior that boasted perfectly cooked zucchini chunks (still bright green and crisp-tender) and a minute level of savory spice that satisfied my ever-cooling taste buds. (I still miss my peppers - don't get me wrong.) The salad was pretty incredible as well. I combined butter lettuce with fresh, homegrown tomatoes, ripe mangos, avocado, sweet and crunchy jicama, dressed with an exceptionally light lime, soy and agave vinaigrette. Damn tasty and freaking fresh. It made great leftovers for lunch today as well.

Tonight's dinner was the "Yoga Body Diet" version of pad thai, a dish that I often make, both from written recipes as well as new creations straight out of my own head. This one featured tofu and rice noodles, both of which I have managed to find products that were made right here in Texas! If I geek out about anything (science fiction, British science fiction, books - okay, I geek out about a lot), it is finding local food products in my local grocery store that can supplant items made in far off lands that previously represented my only choices. Anyway. So, this pad thai recipe had the noodles, the tofu, the egg, the lime, the fish sauce, the cilantro and even....a teeny bit of cayenne pepper! Oh, happy day! The tofu was just chewy enough, the noodles were slightly starchy, even retaining some al dente texture and the sauce was tart, slightly sweet, bright, fresh, piquant and herbaceous. All in all: a good pad thai in my book. (My kids, despite the multiple attempts at this dish, still are not Thai food eaters. I am still not willing to give it up. I will broaden their little palates, so help me God!)

Current score: two more tasty dishes! Tomorrow, if I feel up to it, I may attempt the intriguing Cherry Basil Granita for dessert following something called, "Tasty Tacos". Until then, my friends, bon apetite! (See, I left Emeril out of it - you can't go wrong with quoting Julia, after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment