Friday, June 25, 2010

Well, that didn't take too long...

Hello there! I know I have not written anything in an embarrassingly long time. My excuse: I was on vacation with my husband in Belize. I had hoped to have a full recount of all the amazing Belizean food that we ate while we were down there, complete with pictures no less, but the truth is, we stayed at a resort that seemed to cater to American tourists rather than stay true to the dishes that make up the culinary traditions of the tiny, Central American country. Now, to be fair, they did have a couple of things that are staples of the Belizean table (and bar, for that matter) that we became so enamored with, that we bought and brought home with us as our "souvenirs".

The first is Marie Sharp's Habanero Pepper Sauce, which we purchased in its "mild" version. What is interesting about this stuff is both the incredible heat it packs, and also the fact that carrots are included in the ingredient listing. Carrots, you say? Oddly enough, I found that the cooks in Belize were apt to throw carrots into just about any dish that showed up to tempt our palates: from tuna noodle casserole (I told you it was Americanized food) to the incredible conch ceviche (which may or may not have given my husband violent food poisoning) that we snacked on in the bar one afternoon. In any case, for a pepper sauce that is manufactured in Belize, having a carrot base for the fiery condiment makes more sense than not. The sauce is tasty - really, really spicy, but flavorful as well. It does not seem to have the same acidity that a vinegar based Tabasco sauce does. Don't get me wrong, I like Tabasco sauce, but this is a more subtle flavor - maybe tempered a little by the sweetness of the carrot base. The heat...well, the heat is kind of "burn your face off" heat, as opposed to the lower burn of a Tabasco hot sauce, but it is delicious and definitely something I have been adding to soups, quesadillas, fajitas.....well, pretty much anything that needs a kick.

The second staple that we transported home, is Kuknat Coconut Rum, also made in Belize. Now, my sister informed me, upon our return to the states, that we have coconut rum here as well, but, typically eschewing rum myself, I had no idea. It was not until we were on an island vacation, drinks made with local booze included, that we actually tried this clear and delightfully scented rum. (Just as a side note here: I love the smell of coconut. It is one of those things that I like the scent of more than I do the actual flavor of the raw product.) In any case, the coconut scent and flavor of the rum is light, but definitely perceptible, even when combined with Coca-Cola to make a most venerable tropical mixed drink - Rum and Coke or even, with a lime twist, Cuba Libre. Like I said, we liked it so well that we decided to bring some home - thinking all the while that we had found a new, as yet undiscovered by our non-Belizean traveling friends, liquor.

Ah, well - so I am not a great bar tending adventurer. No matter because our mixed drinks will have the essence of the Belizean tropics while our mouths feel the fire of a typical table side Belizean condiment. No matter that we did not enjoy traditional Belizean fare while we were there either. I mean, what is having a chef in the family worth if not to research and attempt to recreate the cuisine of a underdeveloped Central American nation? Not to mention the fact that we will probably go back. When we do, I am sure great culinary delights shall await us. Until then, habanero pepper sauce and coconut rum will suffice for giving our Texas food and drinks a taste of Belize.

No comments:

Post a Comment