Wednesday, February 6, 2013

What's for dinner?

That is a question heard in my house at least a couple of times a day and I employ a variety of responses based on my mood.  These are...ahem...loosely paraphrased, of course:

Freaking Fantastic Mood:
Child 1: "What's for dinner tonight, Mommy?"
Me: "A delicious dish concocted by your mother, the professional chef, filled with an incredibly delectable combination of nutrition and flavor which will expand your ever-growing little palate while filling your tummy and nurturing your soul!"
Child 2: "Yeah, but what's in it?"
Child 3: *cries and throws something at me while plotting to throw all of it on the floor for the dog*

Decent Mood (most frequently occurring and generally employing full disclosure):
Child 2: "What's for dinner tonight, Mommy?"
Me: "Chicken/steak/pasta with ___________ (often a vegetable that is detestable to at least one of the three of them: spinach, kale, asparagus, mushrooms, etc.)."
Child 1: "Ugh!  I don't like that!  I don't want to eat that!"
Me: "I know, but it is good for you and it is what we are having for dinner."
Child 1: "Can we have bread with it?  If not, can we have dessert if we finish it all?"
Child 3: *laughs and throws something at me while plotting to throw all of it on the floor for the dog*

Freaking Foul Mood:
Child 1: "What's for dinner tonight, Mommy?"
Me: "Food."
Child 2: "Ha ha.  What kind of food?"
Me: "I am not sure yet, but it will be food that you can and will eat."
Child 3: *screams and throws something at me while plotting to throw all of it on the floor for the dog*

Despite my (current) decent mood, I actually don't have a specific answer to the inevitable question this afternoon.  I thought I had purchased enough early in the week to have leftovers for dinner this evening, but apparently I underestimated my family's appetite for chili and cornbread.  If I had to make a guess, dinner will probably be something like grilled cheese sandwiches or pancakes because our current pantry stock is not offering me much by way of choices.  I don't think it matters - either of those "meals" will be very welcome in our house: very few ingredients which are completely identifiable by the children and which take very little time for me to throw together.  Win-win, man.  I take 'em when I can get 'em. 

No comments:

Post a Comment