Monday, April 19, 2010

I Did It


That's right....I did it. I brewed my first batch of kombucha. I actually just finished drinking my first full glass of kombucha and, a full five minutes later, I am still sitting here at the desk, not retching my guts out. Again with the too much information, you say? Well, let's just say that the whole "accidentally poisoning myself" thing has been in the back of my mind the whole time this tasty little drink has been brewing. I am relatively pleased with the results of my first effort: the kombucha is an appealing maroon color and has a bright and tangy flavor which complements the blueberry and pomegranate flavors of the fruit juice used in the fermentation process. A couple of things that I am not so happy with: first, my kombucha is not effervescent and I am not exactly sure why. Second....well, mostly I am just peeved that the stuff didn't come out fizzy. Other than that, it tastes, smells, appears to be exactly like the stuff that I have bought at the grocery store. I guess I will have to research and try to figure out why the drink did not self-carbonate this time. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again," right? Hell, as long as I don't make myself sick from this stuff, I think I will count this little experiment as a success. I think I will hang on to this first batch and ingest it by myself to see how it affects me. I had promised a couple of friends that they could try it, providing I avoided any type of medical follow-up after drinking it, but despite my early digestive prowess, I want to make sure it is safe before I go around handing out liquids inadvertently laden with food-borne illnesses. Maybe the next batch will be bubbly. I sure hope so because that is kind of why I decided to initiate this little adventure in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. A picture! And what a pretty blog you have...

    Also, I'm glad the kombucha didn't kill you.

    ReplyDelete